Advanced Practices in Second Language Teaching Professional Development Certificate
This certificate provides an exciting opportunity for teachers of foreign languages and English as a second/foreign language to showcase their professional development work through the CARLA summer institute program. The certificate is offered through the University of Minnesota’s College of Education and Human Development in partnership with CARLA.
The Advanced Practices in Second Language Teaching Certificate provides teachers with tangible recognition of their successful completion of CARLA’s coordinated set of internationally recognized, graduate-level summer institutes focused on cutting-edge language teaching practices and methodologies. The institutes may be taken in any sequence, and institutes taken for credit previously can be applied to the certificate. At least 12 credits of the following courses must be completed for the certificate:
Required courses (6 credits):
- Culture as Core in the Second Language Classroom (2 cr.)
- Second Language Acquisition Basics for Teachers (2 cr.)
- Using Technology in Second Language Teaching (2 cr.) or CI 5361: Using the Web for Communicative Language Learning (online)
Three elective courses selected in collaboration with your faculty adviser. (6 credits) Recommended electives:
- Improving Language Learning: Styles- and Strategies-Based Instruction (2 cr.)
- Content-Based Language Instruction and Curriculum Development (2 cr.)
- Developing Assessments for the Second Language Classroom (2 cr.)
- Any CARLA Summer Institute offered as a Special Topics Course (2 cr.)
PLEASE NOTE: An application fee is charged by the University.
Is it worth it? Yes! Teachers who are not current UMN students, but want take a CARLA summer institute for graduate-level credit will be eligible for a refund on the initial CARLA cost, if they are accepted as certificate students and register for graduate-level credit. The refund would be the difference between the initial cost of the CARLA summer institute for non-UM participants ($350 early-bird rate) and the UMN participant rate ($150 early-bird rate). Thus, certificate participants are eligible for a $200 refund (per institute), which more than covers the $75 application fee. The best news is that certificate participants can register at the lower UM student rate for all summer institutes they wish to take for graduate-level credit!
Steps for participants who are not current UMN students:
- Register for the CARLA summer institute as a non-UMN student–institutes can fill up fast, so don't delay!
- Apply to the Advanced Practices in Second Language Teaching Certificate. Application by April 30 is encouraged, and must be done by July 31 in order to be eligible for reimbursement of initial CARLA cost. Students must be accepted by August 31 in order to be eligible for a refund.
- Register for credit (CARLA will assist with this step).
- Send confirmation of your acceptance to the certificate to CARLA with request for reimbursement.