Clock Hours & Graduate-Level Credit
- Clock Hour Certification of Continuing Education (Non-credit)
- Graduate-Level Credit Options
- Tuition & Fees for Graduate-Level Credit
Participants can earn certificates for up to 30 Clock Hours of Continuing Professional Education for full attendance at any of the week-long CARLA summer institutes, or up to 6 clock hours/day for the two- and three-day programs. These are awarded on the last day of the institute.
Most of the CARLA summer institutes are available for 2 semester graduate-level credits at an additional cost through the University of Minnesota’s College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) or College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
International participants are currently not eligible to enroll for credit because of INS regulations, unless they are matriculated into a University program.
Institutes for language teachers offering graduate-level credit registration:
- Culture as the Core (CI 5621)–CEHD
- Growing Learning Language (CI 5622)–CEHD
- Styles- and Strategies-Based Instruction (CI 5623)–CEHD
- Content-Based Language Instruction (CI 5624)–CEHD
- Developing Assessments (CI 5625)–CEHD
- Using the Web-online course (LgTT 5710)–CLA
- Using Authentic Materials (CI 5660)-CEHD
- Using Technology in Second Language Teaching (LgTT 5110)–CLA
- Creativity in the Classroom (CI 5660)–CEHD
- Teaching Language Through the Lens of Social Justice (CI 5660)–CEHD
- Teaching Heritage Languages and Learners (CI 5660)–CEHD
Institutes for immersion educators offering graduate-level credit registration:
- Character Literacy in Mandarin Immersion (CI 5660)–CEHD
- Immersion 101 (CI 5673)–CEHD
- Vers une approche intégrée en immersion (CI 5660)–CEHD
Tuition and fees for graduate-level credits depends on whether you are a University of Minnesota degree-seeking/certificate student or a non-degree-seeking (not matriculated in a U of MN program) participant who wishes to take the institute for credit.
Cost: For those not enrolled in degree programs at the University of Minnesota, the tuition cost is $677 per credit, PLUS approximately $100 in registration fees for two credits. The cost of tuition and fees is in addition to the initial registration cost through CARLA (varies between $350-$500).
You can find a chart of tuition and fees for non-degree-seeking students or refer to the University's OneStop website for more complete information.
Note: Non-degree-seeking students who are accepted to the following UM certificate programs are eligible for a discount on their initial registration cost!
U of MN Degree-Seeking or Certificate Students:
Cost: A discount on the initial, non-credit registration cost is offered to students who will register for credit AND are currently enrolled in a University of Minnesota degree-seeking program or the certificate programs listed above. To pay this discounted rate ($150; or $200 for an immersion institute), registrants must indicate their U of MN student ID# on the registration form.
Credit Registration Process:
The process for registering for graduate-level credit depends on your status at the University of Minnesota. See the CARLA Summer Institute registration page for details.