Creating Material with Technology
The Summit on Less Commonly Taught
Languages in Mississippi
July 17-18, 2006
The LCTL Project http://www.carla.umn.edu/LCTL
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition http://www.carla.umn.edu
National Language Resource Center http://www.carla.umn.edu/about/lrc/LRClinks.html
University of Minnesota
Louis Janus email@example.com,
- The LCTL project urges all participants at the Mississippi LCTL summit to join one (or more) of our -t [teacher] listservs: LCTL-T, Celtic-T, Dutch-T, Hebrew-T, Hindi-T, Korean-T, Nordic-T, Polish-T, Portuguese-T.
Finding print, AV, computer material
- LCTL Project list of sources of material
- The UCLA Languages Materials Project
Provides a database of text, reference and AV material for 138 LCTLs.
- U of Minnesota teaching software database
- U of Hawai`i software database
Provides descriptions of multimedia programs more than 70 LCTLs.
- CALL@Hull http://www.fredriley.org.uk/call/resources/swdb.htm
Introductions to Internet / Web use for foreign languages
- Technology and Second Language Teaching. Mark Warschauer and Carla Meskill. http://www.gse.uci.edu/faculty/markw/tslt.html
- Online sources for teaching and learning languages. EL Easton. http://eleaston.com/
- The Internet: an introduction for language teachers, Graham
- Introduction to creating web activities. University of Minnesota
College of Liberal Arts Language Center
- Teaching with the web. University of Wisconsin Learning Support
- Is it worth it? Some comments on FLTEACH.
- "Basic Internet Tools for Foreign Language Educators" Reprinted
with permission from Virtual Connections by Jean W. LeLoup &
Robert Ponterio, SUNY Cortland.
- "Language interactive: A Trailguide to Creating Dynamic Web
Pages" by Robert Godwin-Jones, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Sources for keypal info, EL Easton http://eleaston.com/keypal.html
- International Tandem Network Language learning in tandem via
In eTandem, you work together with a language learning partner from another country - by telephone, e-mail or other media. From your partner, you learn his or her language while he or she learns your native language.
- ePALS http://www.epals.com/
ePALS is the world's largest online classroom community because of our easy-to-use tools, innovative projects and, most importantly, our members.
- Chat access in many LCTLs including Chinese, Greek, Indonesian, Persian, Turkish. http://www.word2word.com/langcad.html
- Yahoo listing for various languages
- FLTEACH listserv archives.
- iLoveLanguages http:/http://www.ilovelanguages.com/
- The Yamada Language Center , U of Oregon
(good font collection0
- University of Wisconsin
Language / country specific search engines
- Google http://www.google.com.
- Open Directory Project http://dmoz.org/World/
- Search engines world-wide http://www.searchenginecolossus.com/
Some sample exercises
- Norwegian mp3 news + exercises http://norsknett.typepad.com/lydklipp/
- Norwegian names developed by Karen Lybeck using
- WebQuest designed by Miyuki Fukai and Yoko Hanson http://php.indiana.edu/~mfukai/webquest/webquest.html
- An online interactive grammar for Russian by
Robert Beard, Bucknell U
- Turkish vocabulary lessons created by Suzan Özel (LCTL minigrant) http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/materials/turkish/tvtp.html
- Basque exercises created by Helena Knörr, LCTL Project. http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/VPA/basque/activitygridbasque.html
Some readings about creating web exercises.
- Language Interactive: Language Learning and the Web http://www.fln.vcu.edu/cgi/1.html#how
Several web sites that help you create web lessons.
- Track Star allows the teacher to assign questions for
students when they look at specific web sites. Very easy and fun
- Flashcard exchange At this site you can make flashcards for yourself, your students or your peers. http://flashcardexchange.com/search?t=2&q=hebrew&search=Search
- Quia! has several easily created exercise types and games
(matching, flashcards, concentration, hangman, etc Charges for
accounts, but reasonable. 30 day trial available http://www.quia.com/index.html
Some Norwegian exercises: http://www.quia.com/pages/readingnorwegian.html
- Web Assisted Learning and Teaching of Languages lets
the teacher design interactive reading, question and answer, multiple
choice, cloze, and vocabulary review web pages. No programming
and minimal coding.
- Hot Potatoes provides downloadable programs, with which
the teacher can enter data, questions. These programs create pages
which can be mounted on a server.
- MaxAuthor a free multimedia authoring system for language instruction, Windows only. U of Arizona. http://cali.arizona.edu/docs/wmaxa/
- Creating WebQuest activities
- Makers page generates code for your exercises (Now housed at U MN). works for many non-Latin languages. http://languagecenter.cla.umn.edu/index.php?page=makers
- Moodle free online course development http://moodle.org/
Copyright info & Royalty-free material for LCTLs
Tutorials and summaries of copyright issues
- U of Minnesota The Copyright Information &
- U of Texas Crash course in Copyright http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/IntellectualProperty/cprtindx.htm starting with Fair use
- Online copyright tutorial, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) http://www.copyright.iupui.edu
- The TEACH Toolkit: An onine resource for understanding copyright and distance education. North Carolina State University Libraries. http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/scc/legislative/teachkit/overview.html
- Google --> "Images" finds amazing graphics http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&ie=UTF-8
- Line drawings for all FLs, by part of speech. Project director: Kazumi Hatasa (Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Purdue University) http://www.sla.purdue.edu/fll/JapanProj/FLClipart/
- University of Victoria's Language Teaching Clipart Library http://web.uvic.ca/hcmc/clipart/
- LCTL project's Virtual Picture Album Pictures from China, Ireland, India, Israel, Norway, Poland, Tunisia (searchable) http://db.carla.umn.edu/lctl/vpa_user_search.html (static) http://carla.acad.umn.edu/lctl/VPA/index.html
- LCTL project Virtual Audio Video Archive http://www.carla.umn.edu/lctl/VAVA/index.html
- Israel http://www.jr.co.il/pictures/israel/index.html
- Realia project. LCTL collection includes Japanese, Portuguese, Russian. http://realiaproject.org/
- Flickr's Creative commons photo collection http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
- Iran, Persian http://oznet.net/iran/fralbum.htm
- Maori http://whakaahua.maori.org.nz/
- Indonesia http://images.umdl.umich.edu/i/indonesian/
- Maps from U of Texas' Perry-Castañeda
Library Map Collection
- South East Asia Images and Texts (SEAiT) from the University of Wisconsin. http://webcat.library.wisc.edu:3200/SEAiT/SEAiTHome.html
- Free School Clipart http://www.freeschoolclipart.com/