CARLA Summer Institutes 2016
The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) at the
University of Minnesota has provided high-quality professional
development for language teachers for over 20 years. Launched in 1996,
this internationally known program reflects CARLA's commitment to link
research and theory with practical applications for the classroom. Each
institute is highly interactive and includes discussion,
theory-building, hands-on activities, and plenty of networking
Who Participates in the CARLA Summer Institutes?
CARLA summer institute participants - more than 5,400 to date - have come from every state and countries all over the world. They have included foreign language, immersion, and ESL teachers at all levels of instruction, as well as program administrators, curriculum specialists, and language teacher educators.
We invite you to join us this year!
A Look at the Past:
CARLA Summer Institutes 2016
CARLA celebrated a successful conclusion to the centers' 21st annual summer institute program at the end of July! This year CARLA offered 13 week-long face-to-face summer institutes during June and July. In addition, CARLA offered four online summer institute options, one of which was funded through the STARTALK program for the fourth consecutive year.
As in years past, language teachers from all over the world attended the CARLA summer institutes–either in person or virtually. Check out these impressive statistics:
- 399 participants engaged in CARLA-sponsored professional development programs this summer: 381 people participated in the CARLA summer institute program while 18 teachers of less commonly taught languages participated in the STARTALK online course.
- A total of 16 summer institute programs were sponsored by CARLA in 2016.
- CARLA offered four online options this year with a total enrollment of 60 virtual participants.
- Participants hailed from 34 states plus Washington D.C.
- 14 countries were represented at the institutes this year: Australia, Bahrain, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Israel, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Panama, Spain, The Netherlands, and The United Arab Emirates.
- CARLA served teachers of 27 languages: Akan, Arabic, Armenian,
Catalan, Chinese, Dari Persian, ESL/EFL, Finnish, French, German,
Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Latin, Ojibwe,
Portuguese, Potawatomi, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Tibetan,
Urdu, and Vietnamese.
It is clear from reading the institute evaluations that these professional development opportunities make a significant difference for language teachers and their students. Comments by participants show that CARLA is seen as the “go to” center for resources and support for language instruction, and they greatly appreciate that our instructors are some of the best in the field.
Check out a few of the photos and "quotable quotes" from the past year's summer institute program:
The institutes have been developed and are supported,
in part, by the U.S. Department
of Educations Title VI Language Resource Center program. The summer institutes are co-sponsored by the University of Minnesotas College
of Education and Human Development and College
of Liberal Arts.