The approach to developing an assessment unit described in this Virtual Assessment Center begins with several assumptions:
- Assessment is aligned to curriculum.
- There is a variety of purposes for assessing student learning.
- Teachers will use a variety of assessment methods.
- Reports about student learning to stakeholders will be based upon multiple measures.
Evaluation is the process by which we interpret learners' test scores and performance. What does a score of 85 mean? What makes a presentation to the class excellent, satisfactory, or in need of improvement? In this section, we will examine:
- Objective and subjective scoring
- Setting standards and specifying criteria for evaluating performance assessments
- Creating checklists and scoring rubrics
- Raters and reliability